- First and foremost, schedule a visit to the dermatologist - He or she can determine your skin type and give you professional tips on caring for your skin, as well as suggest products.
- Always read the label – The higher up an ingredient is on the ingredients list, the greater the concentration of that ingredient in the product.
- Commit to a moisturizing schedule – Even if you have oily skin, you need to moisturize like clockwork: 2 times a day, once in the morning and once at night. Since most of us also apply a sunscreen during the daytime, a lighter moisturizer will do. To make sure you remember this step, just put it on right after you shave (this will restore natural oils and calm irritation caused by shaving). At night, you can go for something heavier that will penetrate deeply as your body naturally heals itself.
- If you’re active and take a shower after your workout, reapply moisturizer.
How do I know if I have sensitive skin?Your skin is easily irritated, especially by products with many ingredients, fragrance, or exfoliating acids (Alpha Hydroxy Acids or Beta Hydroxy Acids). What kind of moisturizer should I use? The fewer the ingredients, the better. Aim for products that are marked hypoallergenic, paraben-free, oil-free, and fragrance-free (preferably all of the above). Of particular importance is staying away from anything with fragrance, whether it’s synthetic or natural. Fragrance is one of the most common causes of sensitizing and allergic reactions. So while that moisturizer might smell delightful, it’s best to avoid it if you have sensitive skin.
Tip: Unscented does not mean free from fragrance. Usually this term denotes a fragrance which has been masked by even more chemicals.SHOP: Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion, Fragrance Free --
How do I know if I have oily skin?Soon after you’ve washed your face, things are getting a little slick already, especially in the T-zone.
What kind of moisturizer should I use?
Even though you might think you don’t need a moisturizer because you produce enough oil as it is, you still need to keep your skin hydrated or you risk losing vital moisture that keeps your skin resilient. To avoid added sheen, opt for an oil-free moisturizer that lightly hydrates. We recommend Ernest Supplies Protective Matte Moisturizer because it contains protective antioxidants while keeping your face shine-free.SHOP: Ernest Supplies Protective Matte Moisturizer --
How do I know if I have dry skin?Right after washing your face, your skin feels tight. You may have patches of redness or itchy, flaky skin.
What kind of moisturizer should I use?An oil-based moisturizer (such as a cream or an ointment) will soothe skin while preventing water loss. In general, the drier your skin, the heavier and the creamier the moisturizer. Taylor of Old Bond Street Dry Skin Cream is emollient, meaning it will prevent water loss by forming a protective film over your skin. It also contains UV filters for added protection when you head outdoors. If you need something even thicker or have a skin condition like eczema, try an ointment like Aquaphor, which is petroleum-based and is very effective for dry or older skin.
Tip: You can also dab some ointment on razor burn or a rash for instant relief and accelerated healing.SHOP: Taylor of Old Bond Street Dry Skin Cream and Aquaphor Healing Skin Ointment --
How do I know if I have combination skin?Some patches of your skin are dry, while others (usually the T-zone) are oily. Your skin can also fluctuate between oily and dry depending on the day.
What kind of moisturizer should I use?You have two options:
- Apply a heavier cream (the creams suggested for dry skin above will do) on the cheeks, and a lightweight lotion on your T-zone.
- Use a product specifically formulated for combination skin, like Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture Combination Skin. This moisturizer actually hydrates dry areas while mattifying oily areas.
How do I know if I have dry skin?You are blessed with even skin tone, no severe sensitivities, and barely visible pores.
What kind of moisturizer should I use?
A general moisturizer will keep your skin in its already excellent shape. If you’re applying lotion right after you shave, try Geo. F. Trumper Moisturising Lotion, which is fragrance-free and leaves a smooth, shine-free finish.SHOP: Geo. F. Trumper Moisturising Lotion